Sunday, September 26, 2010

First shots

Tonight was my first night of injections... The nurse showed me how to do everything last week, so it was pretty simple getting everything together. The follistim pen is super easy, you just put in the cartridge, screw on the tiny needle, dial up the dosage, and inject it into your lower abdomen. It wasn't too bad, it stung a little, but nothing horrible. The menopur is a little more complicated - you have to take 1 cc of saline solution, then mix it with the menopur powder. Since I'm supposed to administer 2 menopur powders a day, I then had to withdraw the mixed solution and add it to another powder, then withdraw the entire solution. After switching to the small needle, I gave myself the injection next to the spot where I did the follistim. This one stung a lot more, and continued to sting even after I pulled out the needle. I thought I was doing ok, so I cleaned up, put the needles into the sharps container, and started to pack everything up. But then I started to feel really dizzy. I've fainted in the past when I've had my blood taken, and occasionally when I got various vaccinations and novocaine shots, and it hasn't happened in awhile, but I still recognize the feeling. So... I had to lay down for awhile until the feeling passed. I think it was just the shock of actually injecting something into myself for the first time in my life, but I think from now on, I'll sit down while I give myself the shots! Hopefully this isn't a nightly occurrence...

No comments:

Post a Comment